Fluxx, Stingaree, Hard Rock. If you’re familiar with downtown San Diego’s nightlife scene, you’ve likely frequented, or at least heard of these popular nightclubs. However, as a cheap hotel in downtown San Diego, we know that it’s not always in the budget to dance the night away at these often expensive clubs. That’s why we wanted to present a list of our favorite dive bars, perfect for the nights when you’re looking to relax with a cheap drink in hand.
- Aero Club Bar – A little off the beaten path, Aero Club Bar is located in the Midtown neighborhood of San Diego. However, if whiskey’s your drink of choice, the distance from the Gaslamp is worth the 5 minute cab ride. With more than 800 types of whiskeys available, the perfect whiskey is waiting for you to find it. And for those who prefer their drinks a little bit lighter, there are also craft cocktails available. We recommend the Aero Mule at an affordable $5.50.
- Star Bar – The definition of a dive bar, the Star Bar offers cheap, but stiff drinks that are sure to hit the spot after a long day of sightseeing. Combine this with friendly service and attentive bartenders and you’re sure to enjoy your evening out. While the décor might be a bit outdated, the bar makes up for it with a crowd that’s always ready to have a good time. Keep in mind that this bar is cash only so don’t forget to stop at the ATM before you go.
- Tivoli Bar – Established in 1885, Tivoli Bar is known as “The Gaslamp’s Oldest Bar” with a daily happy hour from 12pm to 7pm as well as a late night happy hour from 10pm to 12am. Head over for $3 wells and domestic drafts and $10 pitchers. Tivoli’s location right besides the San Diego Convention Center always draws a crowd, creating a scene of locals and visitors from around the world. If you’re looking for a hotel in the area, learn more about cheap San Diego Convention Center hotels and availability for your upcoming trip.
- The Field – If you’re looking for authentic, nothing beats The Field Irish Pub. The restaurant was literally shipped from Ireland piece by piece to recreate the Irish drinking hole. Hosting live music, games and trivia and playing international sporting events including the English Premier League and 6 Nations, there’s always something to do at the Field. They also have a complete menu with great bar snacks and happy hour you can soak up your Guinness with something more substantial.
- The Local – As its name states, The Local is the place for San Diegans to gather to watch the best of sports while enjoying an ice cold brew. They have a wide selection of craft brews from San Diego’s finest including the popular Ballast Point, Stone, Green Flash and Karl Strauss to name a few. Don’t forget to check out The Local’s daily chalkboard specials which are perfect for trying something new without spending too much.
No matter which bar you choose to frequent, the friendly people at these dives are sure to make you feel right at home. Always drink responsibly and take advantage of San Diego’s public transportation system, hail a cab or make use of cheap Gaslamp Quarter hotels so you don’t have to drink and drive. For more information about inexpensive hotels near San Diego bars, contact the Marina Inn & Suites at 1-800-571-2933 and learn about our current hotel deals for our already discounted rates!