When traveling to San Diego for the first time, the best way to explore the sites and attractions is by driving a rental car. Unfortunately for out of town guests, a rental car can be expensive. Even experienced travelers can miss out on rental car deals and end up paying more than they need to. At the Marina Inn San Diego Airport hotel with free parking, we want to help you get the most out of your vacation and offer these tips to help ensure that you don’t overpay for your rental vehicle.
- Do research. Compare current rates on travel sites and on individual car rental websites to find the lowest price. Also be aware that there are no rental car facilities on site at the San Diego Airport, so you will want to choose a rental car company with a location that is near your airport and your hotel for maximum convenience.
- Look for discounts. Many car rental companies offer weekend and weekly discounts, which are indicated on their main websites by a promotional or discount code. If you are a part of a nationally recognized group such as AAA or AARP, you should also inquire about any additional discounts affiliated with such groups.
- Don’t pay for extras. Only pay for extras you’ll need in your rental. This also applies for insurance. Many auto insurance companies provide coverage for rental cars so you don’t have to pay for additional insurance unless it would make you feel more comfortable during your trip.
- Opt for a smaller vehicle. Prices for midsized cars are the highest as they are the most popular. Rates for compact cars are less and they’ll give you better fuel economy. If you don’t have a certain number of passengers with you, opt for a smaller vehicle and enjoy additional savings.
- Check for travel restrictions. Some car rental agencies may impose additional fees on drivers who drive into other states. These travel restrictions are not likely to be covered in the rental’s mileage allowance. Those who stay at the Marina Inn are only a couple miles from downtown attractions such as the Horton Plaza Mall. For directions to the mall, click here.
- Return the car on time and with a full tank. Car rental companies can charge up to a day’s rental if you return your car late. If you don’t return the car with a full tank, you’ll also be required to pay an additional fee.
However, if you don’t want to hassle with the additional costs and headaches that can sometimes accompany renting a car, skip it entirely and stay at a downtown hotel. One of the benefits of a downtown San Diego hotel is that guests are located near enough to the city’s major attractions that they can either walk or take public transportation and must only hassle with an inexpensive taxi fare from the airport to their hotel! For affordable accommodations in downtown San Diego, contact the Marina Inn today.