Why Stay near the Convention Center in San Diego?
San Diego is one of America’s most scenic and beautiful cities. One of its top attractions is the San Diego Convention Center which contains an unbelievable 615,000 square feet of exhibit space and home to famous events, most notably San Diego Comic Con.
If you have an upcoming convention scheduled for this year, it is highly recommended that you stay in the downtown area near the Convention Center. While surrounding destinations such as Coronado, La Jolla and Mission Valley are all great options, you’ll find that the downtown area offers the most in terms of things to do and sites to see. What exactly do we mean? Here is a brief list of our top reasons for why you should stay downtown near the SDCC.
- Convenience. If you’re going to a convention at the SDCC, you’re likely required to get there early in the morning. Skip the hassles of navigating the roads of an unfamiliar place, through traffic, and stay downtown. This way, you can easily drive, walk or even utilize public transportation.
- Dining. The Gaslamp Quarter alone is packed with hundreds of restaurants, suiting everyone’s individual tastes and budget. Whether you are looking to impress business clients with a professional dinner at a five star restaurant or you are in need of a cheap and quick bite to eat in between seminars, you’re sure to find it near the SDCC. Plus, after a long day at the Convention Center, who wants to search endless for a place to eat anyway?
- Attractions. Many people extend their convention trip if they have the opportunity because the city has so much to offer. If you stay near the Convention Center, you have access to top tourist attractions such as Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo, Seaport Village and the USS Midway just to name a few. So even if you can’t extend your vacation, you can probably still find time to be a tourist, even if only for a few hours.
- Nightlife. We understand that you’re busy, but if you do decide you want to hit the town for an evening cocktail or to relax with a beer at the bar, there’s no better place than downtown San Diego. From upscale nightclubs to local neighborhood dives, there is something for everyone. And there’s always that rooftop bar if you’re looking to impress someone special.
- Discounts. Convention attendees are also eligible for special discounts, making the trip even more affordable. Upon receiving your convention center badge, you will be able to enjoy the cuisine of local restaurants and bars at discounted rates. However, most of these deals are from downtown vendors, so if you stay a little further away, it’ll be more difficult to take advantage of them!
- Airport. The SDCC is located a short 10-15 minute drive from the San Diego International Airport, possibly less if you don’t hit all the traffic lights en route. Therefore, any downtown hotel between the airport and the SDCC will provide you with convenience whether you are arriving or departing. And no one can complain about hassle-free travel.
So now that you’re probably convinced that staying within the downtown area is the right choice, how do you select a hotel from the countless options? First, you’ll want to examine your budget and your needs. With the economy in its current state, we understand that many travelers are looking for affordable accommodations so we’ll focus on those. The most affordable hotels near the San Diego Convention Center are going to be the ones just outside of the Gaslamp Quarter. Check for hotels that offer complimentary amenities such as free wireless internet and parking, things that many hotels up-charge for. This will surely help you save. You’ll also want to take into other amenities that may not be necessary, but will offer you comfort during your trip such as an in-room coffee maker for early mornings, an iron so you can arrive to the convention with pressed clothes and a safe to keep your valuables secure while you’re away. Often times it’s the little things that are the most important, as well as overlooked.
The Marina Inn in downtown San Diego is preferred by conventioneers from around the nation because of our affordably low rates and our location within 2 miles of the Convention Center. We offer hotel deals year round and invite you to take advantage of our many free services including wifi, parking and complimentary hot breakfast. For more information, contact a Reservation Manager at 1-800-571-2933 today and see how much you can save!