History of Seaport Village
Seaport Village is a shopping and dining complex located on the waterfront of the San Diego Bay. The area thrives as a popular meeting place for locals and attracts tourists from around the world. While the area is now bustling and hosts a variety of events throughout the year, the history of Seaport Village dates back to the 1700s.
Seaport Village was originally built over a landfill. In fact, during the Spanish expedition of 1782, it was better recognized as Punta de los Muertos, Spanish for Point of the Dead. The area was used as a burial ground for those who died from scurvy during the expeditions. In later years, the area was transformed into a railroad yard which was used to transportation necessary goods and materials to local families and business organizations.
As time passed, Seaport Village underwent a revitalization effort headed and developed by Morris Taubman. It was Taubman’s goal to turn the space into an area that could be enjoyed by San Diego residents, and would revolve around the trade and opportunities provided by its waterfront location. Construction of Seaport Village officially began in the late 1970’s and took about two years to complete. The final product was a fabulous 14 acre entertainment complex.
Seaport Village is now comprised of a variety of fine restaurants and eateries as well as more than 40 shops specializing in everything from clothing and footwear to fine jewelry and craft stores. In addition, visitors staying at one of the San Diego hotels near Seaport Village can also enjoy the district’s historic carousel. Built in the 1800’s, the classic carousel has withstood the tests of time and has been beautiful restored. Today, it symbolizes the history and joy that came of the area’s revitalization