Playgrounds at Balboa Park
When planning a trip to San Diego, you’ll want to schedule as many activities as possible that allow you to enjoy the Southern California sunshine. In addition to visiting the beaches, families traveling with children should check out Balboa Park. After exploring the museums and the zoo, head over to one of the various Balboa Park playgrounds for an afternoon on the play structure.
- Bird Park at Upas – Great for toddlers, this partially enclosed play area features a swirly slide, safety swings as well as a few short animal statues for rocking and climbing. The playground was designed for first-timers and those still having a bit of trouble with walking!
- Bird Park at Cedar – Families traveling with younger children aged 2-5 will love Bird Park. With cushioned flooring, the park provides a safe area to run and play, as well as a small plastic jungle gym with slides.
- Morley Field Playground – This medium-sized playground was designed for children ages 5-12. There are slides, monkey bars, swings as well as a rock climbing wall to enjoy. Families interested in playing sports will also enjoy the large grassy area nearby and visitors with pets are only a short walk from the dog park.
- Pepper Grove Playground – The Pepper Grove Playground is one of the largest and most popular playgrounds in Balboa Park. Separated into two main areas, Pepper Grove is suitable for children of all ages. For the younger visitors, there is a large sandbox, as well as slides and swings built on cushioned floors. For children five an older, there is a large jungle gym with various features to climb and explore.
- Sixth Avenue Playground – Another large playground, Sixth Avenue is also separated into two areas for younger and older children. For kids under five, there is a fire engine themed jungle gym and for older visitors the opposite side is filled with obstacles to climb up and slide down.
Families looking for downtown hotel accommodations that are affordable and near family friendly attractions such as Balboa Park should stay at the Marina Inn. The Marina Inn San Diego hotel near Balboa Park is a short drive away and is also in close proximity to the San Diego Zoo, the downtown Children’s Museum, the USS Midway, SeaWorld and more. For more information about our discounted lodging for families, contact a Reservation Manager today.