Bordered by the Pacific Ocean, it is no surprise that San Diego is home to some of the best seafood restaurants in town. While you’re sure to have nothing short of an exceptional experience at restaurants such as Oceanaire, Blue Point Coastal and Tom Ham’s Lighthouse just to name a few, you can still enjoy fresh, high-quality seafood at restaurants around town for a fraction of the price. Depending on where you are in San Diego, we’ve listed some of our favorite spots where you can affordably satisfy your seafood cravings ($15 to $20 per person).
If you find yourself in downtown San Diego, these popular restaurants are in the midst of all the action, yet offer reasonable prices for their inspirational seafood dishes:
- Escape Fish Bar – Located a few blocks from San Diego’s Petco Park and the Gaslamp Quarter, the menu here is simple with about a half dozen types of fish with a handful of preparations to choose from. Aside from the quality product, visitors love their light fish batter which always provides just the right amount of crunch.
- Downtown Fish Joint – This mom and pop store has been serving San Diego for more than 15 years and has perfected their seafood options. Visitors love the fish taco plates which come highly recommended due to the large size of the fish tacos. A visit to the fish joint and you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.
Long day at the beach? The following restaurants are not far from the various beaches of San Diego, and offer a casual place to relax and dine after a day of sand and surf:
- Point Loma Seafoods – Not far from Ocean Beach, Point Loma Seafoods is popular for their fresh, wild caught product. Their salads and sandwiches offer some of the best value with most people coming back for their crab sandwich which is loaded with fresh real Dungeness crab meat.
- PB Fish Shop – Located in Pacific Beach, this is a gathering place for locals and always wins over vacationers. Choose from a variety of fish, preparations and decide if you’d like a taco, salad, plate or sandwich. The prices are affordable and on Thursdays, the restaurant holds $1 oyster night which goes until the oysters are gone!
For travelers who spent the day visiting SeaWorld San Diego and the Mission Valley area, there’s no need to worry; there are still restaurants that still have great seafood offerings:
- Bay Park Fish Co. – When dining at the Bay Park Fish Co. you can always expect great service and a variety of options for food. Some favorites among locals include the Poke appetizers, lobster tacos and the halibut rolled tacos. For additional savings, head over during their daily happy hour from 3pm to 6pm.
- Wahoo’s Fish Tacos – Looking for something quick after a long day? This is the place for you. A San Diego based restaurant, Wahoo’s is famous for their fish tacos but also serves plates, bowls and burritos. And if you’re traveling with kids, there’s a great kids menu with meals around $5.