Did you know that there are only about two weeks left until Christmas? With so little time, let’s pack in as much holiday fun as possible, especially if you have children. Here are some good kid-friendly holiday ideas that you can do as a family:
- Play “Elf on the Shelf.” Each night you place a small elf in a different area of the home because each night he has gone to talk to Santa about whether your child’s been naughty or nice. Children wake up in the morning racing around the house to find where Santa’s elf has been hiding.
- Jungle Bells! The San Diego Zoo is hosting wild and adventurous Christmas activities for kids starting on December 14. The park will be transformed into a winter wonderland where kids and adults alike can enjoy a Christmas trolley, festive shows, entertainment, holiday treats and appearances from Santa. Parking is limited so try to get a discounted hotel near the San Diego Zoo so you can take an inexpensive MTS Bus or taxi.
- Write a letter to Santa online. Let’s admit it, nobody sends snail mail anymore. If kids visit aletter4santa.com they can send a message to Santa and receive a message right back! A personalized message from Santa will remind kids to be good while showing them whether or not they’re on his “nice list” (hint: everyone is).
- Donate used items to teach kids about giving. With so many families in need this Christmas, what better time is there to teach kids about the gift of giving to someone less fortunate. Tell your kids that if they want new toys from Santa that they need to give one or two of their old ones to someone who would enjoy them. You can take lightly used clothes, toys and food to any local homeless shelter, orphanage or Goodwill.
- Head to Seaport Village for some shots with Santa. Every weekend until Christmas, Santa will be stopping by this seaside town to chat with kiddos about their Christmas list and to take a precious keepsake photo. On December 14 and 15 you can even make reservations to have breakfast with Santa at Harbor House Restaurant. The $25 cost includes breakfast, a child’s gift bag, face painting, balloon animals, carolers and a photo.
In need of a family-friendly budget hotel near Seaport Village? Marina Inn is located less than a mile from Seaport Village, three miles from the San Diego Zoo and two miles from the San Diego International Airport.