If you are planning to visit San Diego, you undoubtedly want to spend some time in Coronado. Don’t allow your limited resources to prevent you from experiencing this luxurious and beautiful manmade island. If you plan your visit right, you can enjoy virtually everything that Coronado has to offer within a short period of time, all while staying within your budget. Here are some ideas on what you can see and do on Coronado Island in one day:
- Any itinerary should begin at the Coronado Visitor’s Center. Inside, you will find plenty of information on the island’s sights and attractions. Pick up a map, a list of events and ask about the best modes of transportation.
- Coronado Beach is one of the must-see places during your day trip. This beach was voted the #1 beach in the U.S. in 2012 and for good reason. When you combine Coronado’s almost perfect weather with expansive beach space and a scenic backdrop, you’ll see why this beach consistently draws in tourists and locals alike. It is renowned for being not only one of the best beaches to stay near in San Diego, but it is undoubtedly one of the best spots in the country for surfing and sunbathing.
- The Segway of Coronado is also something fun to experience. The tour guides will help you learn how to ride a motorized Segway as you are guided through a stunning sightseeing tour of the city. This is an excellent way to see some of the city’s top attractions in a short period of time. Fly by Glorietta Bay and this historic boat house and wind up at Ferry Landing for a photo op with the Coronado Bridge.
- Coronado is also known for its high quality arts venues. The island is home to theaters such as the Lamb’s Players Theater, the Coronado Playhouse, and the Village Theater. However, art galleries offer another great reason to spend a day in Coronado. The Dan McGeorge Gallery features stunning photographic art that can’t be seen anywhere else. If you love photography, make sure to put it on your itinerary.
- The Vietnam Memorial Monument is a beautiful tribute worth seeingthat commemorates local Navy and Coast Guard members who were killed in action. Coronado Island has strong ties to the U.S. military and currently has two military bases that call this beautiful city home: Naval Air Station North Island and Naval Amphibious Base Coronado. If you’re interested in learning more about San Diego’s military history, head over to the San Diego Marine Core Recruit Depot museum near Old Town San Diego.
- Coronado is also famous for its delicious restaurants. The Burger Lounge features a huge, mouth-watering array of choices. It’s the perfect place to stop by for a quick bite. Miguel’s Cocina is a great option for anyone who loves Mexican food. Peohe’s and Brigantine both serve sizzling seafood for lunch and dinner. Leroy’s Kitchen and Lounge is an enticing nightlife option.
As long as you plan out your time and your finances you can enjoy everything that Coronado Island has to offer in one day. Try picking one “splurge item” and then save money on all the rest. Definitely don’t book your hotel stay in Coronado as it will certainly be lavishly overpriced. Instead book an affordable San Diego hotel room at Marina Inn, located less than 5 miles away. You can get to Coronado Island from our hotel by enjoying a bayside walk, taking a quick taxi or you can easily hop on the trolley’s Green Line to the 12th& Imperial Exit and then the 901 transit bus toward Iris.
Book your hotel room today and you could save up to 12%! Call us at 1-800-571-2933 and be sure to ask about our available discounts and special rates.
Are you tired of scouring the internet just to save a buck or two? Ready to hang up the scissors and toss out the coupon booklets? Printing and cutting coupons is now a thing of the past. Wallet conscious shoppers and diners can now easily find discounts and savings online from their laptop or smartphone at home or on the go. This is why it’s also important to book a cheap downtown San Diego hotel room with free WiFi so you can do your browsing without burning through expensive data rates. Once you settle in to your room, don’t forget to check out these helpful websites and smart-phone apps that could save you from spending an arm and a leg:
- U-T Deals
This local San Diego newspaper is expanding their horizons by offering a plethora of online deals, discounts and giveaways at utsandiego.com/offers. Save at local hair salons, bars, restaurants and much more. Shopping discounts online is best for this website because their smartphone app is hit or miss when it comes to purchasing your deal of the day.
Planning on getting tickets to a San Diego event? Goldstar.com has discounted tickets to shows throughout San Diego County. If you’re planning on attending the San Diego Travel and Adventure Show at the San Diego Convention Center grab your 50% off admission tickets at Goldstar! To learn more about the San Diego Convention Center, like cheap hotels near the SDCC and parking tips, click here.
Groupon has quickly become the largest online source of savings and for good reason. Users can easily plug in their email address and zip-code (be sure you change yours to San Diego if you’re from out of town) and then they can sift through hundreds and hundreds of deals. Looking for something specific? Use the filters located in the left hand column.
This money-saving site is great for quick tips on where and how to save. Their homepage showcases the most popular deal of the day and the large colorful photos help make your decision on whether to buy or not a little easier. Try using their smartphone app for money saving discounts while you’re out and about.
This website and monthly mailer is specific to San Diego but allows you to select different regions in the county. From their website you can purchase deals, print coupons, and even read restaurant reviews. This website is definitely worth a look before you head out for dinner.
These website all have corresponding smartphone apps to make it easier for your to save money while you’re traveling. Another way to save money during your San Diego vacation is by booking a discounted room with Marine Inn and Suites in Downtown San Diego. We save you money by offering discounts of up to 12% off just for booking in advance. Also, if you purchase your discounted SeaWorld admission through us we’ll give you 15% off already affordable SeaWorld San Diego hotel rates.
Call a Marina Inn reservations specialist at 1-800-571-2933 to book your discounted room today!
SeaWorld is one of those must-see places when you’re planning your family vacation to San Diego. SeaWorld has it all: amusement park rides, shows, exhibits, shopping and dining! However, if you don’t plan accordingly, the budget for your family day out could easily double or even triple! Click here for information on affordable family friendly San Diego accommodations, and continue reading for some helpful tips on how to easily save some cash during your SeaWorld trip:
- Don’t pay full price for admission! For the same price as a single day admission ticket you can get the Fun Card which is good for admission throughout the whole year! Also, right now you can get the adults Fun Card at the child’s price if you enter code “SWCWestwaysFC2014” online. Visitors can also ask about available AAA and AARP discounts. However, be sure you always make purchases from reputable websites and dealers and do research before giving anyone your credit card information, especially online.
- Pick your splurges. You know your kids are going to want a souvenir or that overpriced cotton candy, so consider allotting them, and yourselves, a certain “allowance” on unnecessary items. Something as little as $10 will let your kids feel like they’re picking a special treat and will force them to be more selective when they know ahead of time what the spending limit is.
- Pack your own food. Amusement Parks have notoriously overpriced restaurants and snack bars, so come prepared to feed you family. It’s even easier to pack a meal ahead of time if you have a cheap San Diego hotel room close to SeaWorld with a refrigerator and microwave. Leave a large cooler in the car and enjoy a delicious and cheap homemade meal in the picnic area just outside the park. There are also a handful of kid-friendly restaurants nearby where you can easily travel to during breaks from the park.
Another way to save money is by booking a cheap family-friendly San Diego hotel room at Vagabond Inn & Suites. Not only are we located just minutes from San Diego’s major attractions like SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo, but we also offer a 15% discount on your hotel stay when you purchase your admission tickets through us.
If you have a friend who is looking for a centrally located budget hotel near the San Diego Convention Center, SeaWorld or another popular attraction, be sure to share this article on Facebook and Twitter by clicking on the icons in the upper right-hand corner!
If you’re planning a trip to San Diego and don’t want to fall into every tourist trap like the millions of other annual visitors, read this local’s guide to San Diego. These tips will help you experience the beautiful sights and must-see hot spots like a true San Diegan. And when it comes to blending in, replace “ya’ll” with “dudes” and lose the fanny pack and we think you’ll do just fine.
Skip the highly populated San Diego Beaches of Del Mar, La Jolla and Torrey Pines and instead head to beautiful Sunset Cliffs, Windansea or Swamis to escape the crowds while still being able to experience unparalleled ocean views. More tips on beachin’ it like a local:
- Keep your clothes on, no nude beaches here
- Leave the booze at home
- If you’re going to surf or body board, you better know what you’re doing. San Diego surfers take their sport seriously
If you’re going to attempt to tour the big name attractions like SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo, then try to skip the primetime weekend days and instead opt for a Tuesday or Wednesday day during the off-peak winter season.
- Take advantage of the free shows offered by both parks for additional family fun
- Pick up a map, it’s the easiest way to plan your day
- Bring snacks and water to save money
- Stay at a cheap downtown hotel near SeaWorld for the most convenience
Experience “off the beaten path” nightlife in North Park or Ocean Beach. San Diego’s Gaslamp District can be a lot of fun, but most locals will tell you that parking downtown on a weekend night is torturous. To avoid the hassle, head to one of the other aforementioned hot spots where you can drink and dance the night away for half the price. Try out these popular favorites among locals:
- North Park- Seven Grand for great whiskey cocktails or Toronado for craft beers galore.
- Ocean Beach- South Beach Bar & Grill for socializing and OB Noodle House for $2 beer.
Don’t leave San Diego without trying In-N-Out because it really is what it’s all about. Cheap burgers with special sauce right off the grill. A little inside tip- there’s a secret menu!
- You can add up to four beef patties by asking for a 3×3 or 4×4.
- You can order the buns “mustard grilled.”
- Ask for an off-the-menu grilled cheese.
- Want pickles or grilled onions? Just ask.
- Their famous Animal Style Burger comes with extra Thousand Island sauce, mustard grilled patties and pickles. Animal Style Fries are topped with Thousand Island, cheese and grilled onions.
Hopefully these tips help you enjoy some of the lesser-known wonders in San Diego during your vacation. If you’re still in need of a place to stay, heed one more tip from a local and stay at Marina Inn hotel near downtown San Diego. This affordable hotel is near all of the city’s main attractions and offers great discounted room rates. To book a cheap San Diego hotel room today click here or call us at 1-800-571-2933.
We know that planning a day trip with children can be a taxing task at times. So to ensure that everyone has a great time at the San Diego Zoo, sit down with your children the day before you head to the park and plan out a possible itinerary of shows and exhibits you would like to see. This allows time for each child to contribute their opinion and helps ensure your family will get to enjoy as many animals and shows as possible. Also, read up on the following tips that will make your day a walk in the park:
- Bring your own stroller or rent one at the park – $12 for a single or $16 for a double – if you have kids that won’t be able to walk around the 100 acre park for an entire day. Additionally, make sure everyone wears comfortable shoes!
- Pack a backpack full of any necessities like sunscreen, snacks and juice boxes. Having snacks and drinks on hand is a great way to avoid spending extra money throughout the day and can keep kids from getting cranky! If you don’t feel like carrying a backpack or diaper bag around the park, you can rent a large locker for $1.50.
- Need somewhere to nurse a newborn in privacy? You can use the Zoo’s First Aid office, the Health Office or the women’s restrooms with designated nursing stations. Most restrooms also have diaper changing stations for your convenience.
- Make your trip a fun, educational experience by introducing your youngsters to new plants and animals online before arriving at the park. The Zoo’s website has a special section just for kids where they can learn all about the animals on display, play games and watch videos. Getting to know more about the Zoo ahead of time will make them more eager to interact when your family visits.
- Don’t forget to take frequent breaks. A long day of walking around the Zoo can be tiring for children and adults alike. Be sure to take a break every few hours to eat, rest and regroup. Break time would also be a good opportunity to catch their sea lion show, hop on the Skyfari aerial tram or watch a film in their 4-D theatre.
If you’re in need of a family-friendly hotel near San Diego Zoo, then look no further than Marina Inn & Suites. We’re located less than three miles away from the Zoo and offer 15% off your hotel stay with the purchase of Zoo admission tickets! We also have a Kids Suite which is great for large families as it has two queen beds and an adjoining room with twin bunk beds.
To learn more about the rooms, rates and discounts offered at our affordable San Diego hotel, click here or call 1-800-571-2933 and speak with a reservations specialist.